Saturday, June 17, 2017

Freedom in choice

I remember the day when I first felt freedom....
It was the most peculiar experience of my life. For I was working for a man who said I was free to do as I so choose but what was strange is I never felt like I was free to do anything. I'd make a mistake and then the words of condemnation would rain down, words of belittlement would fly my way. If I wasn't perfect I would be reminded of all the areas I failed and would be shown the others all around me that do life better. I was free to do as I pleased in this world yet slave to what happened with each one of my actions. 
Then one day the company I was working for got bought out by a bigger company. This time it was different in terms of how I could act. I wasn't able to do as I choose, the boss would give me guidelines to live a certain way and at first I was incredibly upset about that, oddly enough things would seem to go well but my thought was always 'I'd rather have freedom and feel crappy than have to follow what another says and feel good'. Then after sometime of living this style of life I started to notice how much I enjoyed following the good things set in the guidelines. I started to realize that the boss gave me the words to follow so my time at work would be easier for me. 
Then a few months after working for the new man in charge I realized something. These guidelines put in place weren't there to keep me from doing certain things, they were established so I could live a better life. Then with that realization the light bulb sparked on. Freedom isn't the ability to feel good because you have the opportunity of your own choice, Freedom is knowing that any choice you make is a good one because it's not dictated by another to be seen as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment